One of the primary concerns people have about dental braces is the aesthetic impact of the metalwork on their smile. Especially for adults, the idea of wearing unattractive metal braces for a long period of time can be very discouraging. Invisalign® offers an almost invisible aligning system that straightens teeth fast and contains no metal.
Invisalign® treatment consists of a series of custom-made aligning trays. Dr. Yaley changes the trays every several weeks to fit the new tooth configuration. In addition to the reduced visual impact, Invisalign® aligning trays can be temporarily removed for important occasions – meaning the treatment duration is patient-controlled. Many people report complete satisfaction with both the Invisalign® treatment and the stunning results.
What kind of bite problems can Invisalign® correct?
Invisalign® corrects the same dental problems as traditional metal braces; the only difference is that Invisalign® trays are almost invisible to the naked eye and can be removed at will.
Common problems Invisalign® can correct:
- Overcrowding – This occurs when there is too little space for the teeth to align normally in the mouth. Overcrowding can cause tooth decay and increase the likelihood of gum disease.
- Large gaps between teeth – This can sometimes occur because teeth are missing or because the jaw continues to grow abnormally.
- Crossbite – This common dental problem occurs when one or multiple upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth. Consequently, uneven wear can lead to bone erosion and gum disease.
- Overbite – This problem occurs when the upper teeth project further than, or completely cover, the lower teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ can occur.
- Underbite – This is the inverse of the overbite; the lower teeth project further than, or completely cover, the upper teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ can occur.
What advantages does Invisalign® offer over traditional braces?
Traditional dental braces and Invisalign® aligning trays are two different ways to perfect the alignment of the teeth. There are many different things to take into consideration when deciding which treatment will be best as each option works better in certain situations.
Invisalign® differs from traditional braces because the aligning trays are fully removable. This means more discipline and commitment are required from the patient. This is not usually a problem because the trays are comfortable and nearly invisible. Almost identical results can be obtained by using either treatment.
What does Invisalign® treatment involve?
Dr. Yaley will devise an initial treatment plan before creating the special aligning trays. Three-dimensional digital images are taken of the entire jaw. These images allow her to move specific teeth on the screen, view the jaw from different angles and foresee what the face might look like in years to come. This technology can show how Invisalign® trays will change the facial aesthetics.
Once planning is complete, a unique set of aligners is made. The total amount of aligners required varies with each individual case, but 20-29 sets per arch is typical.
The trays should be worn constantly, except when eating and drinking. It is important to remove the trays when consuming food or drink to keep food from getting trapped between the teeth and the tray and causing tooth decay.
Usually new trays are necessary every two weeks and progress can be seen with the naked eye. Invisalign® is renowned for being both comfortable and effective.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at (650) 325- 8030.