It only takes 24 hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into tartar. Daily home cleaning helps control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need special attention.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, Dr. Yaley will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), usually four times a year. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure they are healthy. Plaque and calculus in difficult to reach places will be removed from above and below the gum line.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs) - Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss.
- Examination of existing restorations - Current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay - All tooth surfaces checked for decay.
- Oral cancer screening - The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums are examined for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations - Oral hygiene aids are recommended as needed.
- Teeth polishing - Removal of stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Good oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential in maintaining dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control!
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at (650) 325- 8030.